Previously in Chapter 4: Gabe and Jane have just found out they are to attend an educational day camp for the rest of the summer.
Jane and I stood right at the bus stop in front of ENE. Mrs. Jerome gave us some change that she would need later. Jane had put it upon me to tell Free he needed to give Mrs. Jerome some money. I gulped as I thought about it.
"So, how was Ms. Cantu's desk?" I asked Jane.
"Horrible."
I knew Jane didn't want to talk about an more than I did. Jane tugged at her hair and looked back at ENE.
"I wonder why Free sent us here. I bet he didn't even tell Mom," she frustratedly whispered.
It silent as the bus pulled up. I nudged Jane and we got in. Jane paid the the toll and we walked all the way to the back of the smelly bus.
We were quiet as it roared to live. The engine sputtered and tires collected dust and sent a trail of it flying through our window. Jane and I started coughing hard and struggled to pull up the window.
"Oh God, it's broken!" Jane cried.
"It can't be! Let's try again!" I cried back. Suddenly the bus stopped and we lurched forward down onto the floor. We started rolling down the aisle, bumping our heads into legs of people and the seats.
"How is this possible?" Jane yelled through intervals created by our aisle 'travel'. People were screaming, but it was the bus driver booming and wondering what was going on. When he saw us rolling down the aisle of his bus, he turned red and opened the bus doors, puffing his cigarette with pride.
"Yeeooww!" Jane and I screamed in unison. We had landed on grass, but it still hurt.
"You ok, Jane?" I asked breathlessly. Jane nodded. She sat up carefully and looked up. To her right was an apartment building. But not just an apartment building, Free's apartment building.
"I can't belief I'm saying this, but, we're home!" Jane cried happily. We both ran all the way up to Free's apartment and knocked on the door.
"How do I look?" Jane asked.
"Filthy as can be," I answered. We both burst out laughing.
"You're no better," she smiled.
Thankfully Mom was the one to open the door. "Oh, sweeties! I've been worried sick! Free's not home. Did you go with him somewhere?"
Jane and I looked at each other. This was our chance to get Free busted. Jane decided to speak. "In fact, no Mom. Free sent us to a summer camp without your permission." We both grinned.
Mom looked amazed. "Oh really?"
Jane and I nodded."Well that was kind of him! I wanted to send you to summer camp, but I had no money or time. I'll thank him for that," Mom said.
We both let our jaws hang down. "Well, but, Mom, it was a horrible, stinky summer camp!" Jane argued. "It wasn't pleasant at all!"
"Oh, stop fibbing Jane. You know it was fun, you just wanna stay home, don't you?" Mom smiled at us and walked into the kitchen.
We knew the discussion was over.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was nighttime and Jane and I long been in bed. But a disturbance kept us up. There were voices, and they were Free and Mom's.
"I can't take this. Let's go spy," Jane whispered to me. I sighed and decided to take the risk.
We crouched down in the hallway in perfect view of the living room where Mom and Free were sitting.
"So Free, I heard you took the children to camp today. Did you pay for it?" Mom asked.
Free was occupied in a football game but was able to shake his head in disagreement.
"Well, that's very irresponsible. Who's going to pay for it? You know I don't have much money to spare."
He turned to her and pretended to smile. "You have enough money to spare, Shar. Remember? You're paying a fourth of the bills, and this camp will add a one hundred to it, not much."
"Now that's wrong Free! I know how high your bills are, and I can't possibly lose my hard earned money on a grown man's bills!"
"Well Shar, you live under my roof, my rules. It would be kind if you were to pay part of them. I'll still be paying the bulk, won't I?"
Mom didn't like Free's calm tone, Jane and I knew that. She didn't like anyone's calm tone in such important conversations.
"Free, I will not pay your bills!"
"Then get out of my apartment!" Free argued back.
"Oh please, Free, you don't even own it!"
Free glared at her. "Get out if you won't pay for 'em, Shar!"
"Calm down, Free. You'll wake up the children. And fine, I'll pay part of the bills, but I'd better get something in return."
Free just rolled his eyes at her and watched his TV as Mom slowly walked back to bed, tears pouring down her cheeks.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment