Previously in Chapter 7: Jane, Gabe, and their mother are weirdly enough suffering from a blow from Free's accident. Trying to cheer their hopes up, they visit the local middle school. After that, things change as horrid answers started filling into Jane and Gabe's heads to their mother aloofness.
Condemnation. It rang through my mind like nobody's business. I was suffering blows the size of my head. My mother was taking drugs and she didn't even seem to mind.
Every night when I was restless I would jump out of bed and go outside. I'd take long walks in the cool night air and hope for the white moon to shine out upon me and take me away to a happier place.
Oh how I dearly wished for that.
But of course I couldn't start self-pity. Then I would be selfish and be teased by Jane. My impatience was slowly gaining with her. The last time she'd picked on me I'd almost attacked her. I bit lip and slowly walked away from her.
Right now it was twilight and a soft breeze was picking up. I took a deep breath and looked at the dark, looming houses around me.
The Mulberry's strawberry patch looked like lumps on the ground and their neighbors, the Cancun's, had a lawn full of sweet flowers.
I strode to the Mulberry's patch and picked a few fresh strawberries. Then I walked over to the Cancun's and grabbed a flower or two.
As the night crept on I could feel the large blow I had increase. Tears slowly poured down my face as I advanced further and further into town.
Neon lights flickered as I passed tiny buildings. Some places were still open; like the McDonald's and the Wendy's. The eerie smell of grease and salt filled my nose and actually tore me away from the sidewalk.
I turned back and ran all the way home, dropping the Cancun's flowers on the way.
Finally I reached home. It was the darkest and ugliest on the street with a brown lawn, tall weeds, and a shagging rooftop.
Bright car lights lit the street as I silently walked back into the house. My night walk was over.
The pot simmered as Jane fried the bacon. I was scrambling up the scrambled eggs and toasting the bread.
"Momma, can you help Gabe butter the toast?" Jane asked.
Mom stood up from the table and washed her hands, getting the butter along the way. She then got a silver knife and smoothed the butter onto the bread.
Carlotta, our realtor, was coming to visit us to see how things were going. Our landlord, Mr. Mulberry was always "busy" so we had never been able to invite him over for anything.
Yes, it is wrong that I would steal strawberries from our landlord's real home, but it serves him right for having double property. On the same street. Right next to us. It was like 24/7 puppy guarding!
The doorbell rang just as we had finished preparing breakfast. Mom opened the door and let Carlotta in. But she wasn't the only person.
A tall, slender man of middle age appeared. He wore a black uniform with a shiny gold badge on it and a heavily equipped belt wrapped tightly on his waist.
"Howdy, howdy! The name's Officer Lawrence. Pleasure to meet you all," the man said.
Mom reluctantly shook his hand and took a step back. Jane and I were next.
We did the same and said hi to Carlotta. She was mightily grinning. I didn't like it, the grin was fishy; as if she was about to tell us bad news.
"Hey, guys. This is my brother, Rick Lawrence. He just really wanted to meet my most recent clients, who happened to have recently dated his best friend, Free."
The name made my stomach twist and pang a fresh amount of guilt through my mind.
Even though Officer Lawrence wasn't intimidating, looks could deceive. He was the opposite of Carlotta; he had sandy blond hair, ivory skin, and shiny electric blue eyes. Carlotta had light russet skin, thick, chocolate brown hair, and soft brown eyes that were almost golden.
We all sat down and served ourselves some breakfast. Mom started a conversation.
"So, Rick, how long have you been in the force?"
He shrugged. "Maybe four to five years. Not long; I'm not that old."
Mom, Carlotta, and Rick laughed. Jane and I didn't see what was so amusing. We both hated adult humor; it never made sense.
The three talked a little bit more and that quieted down until Officer Lawrence muttered, "Do you smell some type of drug in here?"
Mom blushed. "I have bad allergies...I need those."
Officer Lawrence chuckled. "Antihistamine does not smell like that, ma'am."
"Well, it has a different active ingredient, sir."
"Could that possibly be...oh, I dunno; something illegal?" Officer Lawrence was hardening up. He was being suspicious.
"Now, Rick, stop all this officer junk. It's very rude," Carlotta hissed.
He sighed. "Fine. I guess I'm a little tripped up." Officer Lawrence looked over the house a little bit longer.
"I need to go. But I'll be back, ma'am. Just for a slight inspection. You never know what's in these neighborhoods."
He took out a pair of blacked-out sunglasses and flipped them on. "All in a days work," he said huskily.
Officer Lawrence stepped out and eyed Carlotta.
"I'll be their Rick. Just give me a second."
He nodded and walked off.
Carlotta picked up her plate and her purse. "I'm so sorry I had to put you all through this. Rick is just such a hound these days since illegal activities have been picking up in this area. But it's especially because Free was in that accident. They had such a strong relationship."
She pursed her lips out of embarrassment. "I'll be back, Sharon. I promise. And I won't bring Rick. He'll just be a big jerk to our little occasion. I'm so sorry again, you all."
She gave us hasty hugs, tossed her plate and utensils into the sink, and blew us quick kisses.
"Bye you three. Thank you for inviting me."
Carlotta guiltily walked off, gently closing the door behind her.
Mom sighed and cleaned up the table.
"You okay Mom?" I warily asked.
She nodded. Tears were forming around her eyes.
"I'm sorry you two. But one day it'll all crack. The worst thing is it has already started."
Mom jogged upstairs into her bedroom, Jane following.
I sighed. Another day, another worry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Amazing!
Thanks!
Your story is awesome too.
Thanks for following!
Why thank you...I'm so sorry I haven't written...My mother convescated my note book that I wrote it in...I can't find it!!!!
Really?
Well, I wish you the best of luck with that.
More to read coming later.
Me too. Just give me a little while
Post a Comment