Previously in Chapter 6: Jane, Gabe, and their mother finally move out of Free's apartment, without him.
That was the last time we saw Free ever again. He had survived, but his parents were thinking daggers about Mom and the accident. Jane and I frequently wondered how it must of felt to see your only child in a hospital bed, with severe injuries to his skull, neck, spine, torso, and limbs. We'd heard it was possible he would be immobile for the rest of his life; but when you thought about it, what life did he have now; after the incident.
As for the bus and its cruel, heartless driver; they were nowhere to be found.No evidence, no use.
Mom smiled at Jane and I, taking me out of my trance. We were all sitting on our kitchen table enjoying cereal. Jane had been silent since the accident just like Mom, showing it had effected her.
It had effected me, too, but I bet not so much. I've seen people being crushed and broken like paper. We'd lived deep in ghetto of a bad town where you had to be watchful and keep your mouth closed or close between trusted peers. Gangs and their rivals would fight, and it was only until a matter of time when you'd find yourself in one, no objections.
"So, how are you liking the new home?" Mom asked. Jane and I nodded glumly, merely meaning, 'yes'. "Well, Carlotta worked very hard and even found us a beautiful lime green car, like we've always wanted."
We shrugged. Mom sighed. She did that often. "Why don't we check out the middle school? It's a few miles from here."
This time Mom didn't wait for us to reply and stuffed Jane and I into her tiny little lime car and drove us all the way to the school.
It was a tall, light orange building with the rare red brick tossed into the orange pool of bricks. The doors were red, too; and the windows large and full of glare. Its lawn was green and full of flowers and other foliage. The school's sidewalk looked old though with cracks, chips, and crumbling sides. Red benches sorted out the excess of orange and green.
My eyes turned to Jane. She looked amazed. Out of disgust or joy I wasn't sure of. Jane looked back at me and smiled feebly.
"I think that's enough for one day, huh? We should take trips like this everyday," Mom commented.
She gathered us into her car and drove us home.
Jane decided to cook with my assistance. While trying to search for salt, I found a tiny orange plastic bottle with yellowish tablets in it. There was no prescription. Before consulting to Mom, I showed Jane.
"Oh, I bet it's nothing...serious," Jane said confidently. I could tell she was nervous.
"It is!" I whispered, eying Mom. "It has a white label on it, but it only says 'Sharon Fawcett'."
This time Jane was quivering and suddenly turned to Mom who looked really tired. Jane grabbed the bottle. "Eh..Mom?" she started.
"Hm?" Mom mumbled, looking at her with bloodshot eyes.
"What's this?" Jane took out the bottle from behind her.
Mom's eyes widened. "Oh, it's just a prescription-"
"Then why is there no information about it?" Jane interrupted.
"I have a receipt that has that information...I go to a special pharmacist."
"I'm not crazy Mom; I'm twelve! Tell me the truth; are these...d-drugs?" Jane's eyes started gathering with tears. So were mine.
"Really sweetie, I...I don't know."
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hard times are slowly coming for Jane and Gabe.
So hang on in there. Um...Please try to comment.
Thanks.
UGH! Chapters are SOOOO long...I''m still on chapter 1
Ooh, sorry!
I hope at least they're interesting!
Thanks for commenting!!!
Post a Comment