I fluttered my eyes open.
I found myself in a tiny room. Jane and I shared one queen bed. I didn't know where we were or why we were here. All I knew is I wanted out.Then I saw 4 suitcases lined up at the door. I shuddered as the thoughts of the previous day shot into my mind.
Mom had been arrested...
Jane and I had been carried off by the smart suit people...and then suddenly we were with Carlotta...and we had dinner, and then...slept. Which meant we were in Carlotta's place.
I groaned and got out of the bed. The doorknob turned and Carlotta appeared. She looked tired; out of place.
Yet this was her house, and Jane and I seemed to live here, both of seemingly peaceful.
Jane slowly woke up to Carlotta's entrance. She was just as groggy and dazed as I was.
"Mm, where am I?" she muttered and yawned.
"My condo," Carlotta answered. "I came to tell you both breakfast was ready and that the foster care people are coming over at lunch time to give you temporary guardians for the time being."
Great.
Foster parents.
Just what we needed. Yet another move, but this time it would just be Jane and I, moving to a whole new family.
Jane slid out of bed and sighed.
"I don't want to do this," she whispered.
"I understand, Jane. But this is the government's way of protecting you, by giving you another set of parents when your own can't. I'm sorry." Carlotta frowned.
"Well, I'm ready to write my will and testament now. Seeing that there's nothing I've got to lose," Jane commented.
We all couldn't help but laugh as the morning slowly dragged on. Carlotta served us breakfast and then we enjoyed the few hours stay we had with her.
Soon there was a knock on the door.
"Oh, it's the foster care people. I'll go get the door. You two get your luggage." Carlotta jumped up from her couch and ran to catch the door.
Jane and I lugged our suitcases out to the foyer just as the old man from the day before and young woman appeared.
"Hello, I'm Sandy Simms. This is Mr. Pennington, head of the Foster Care Institute in this town," the young woman said.
She looked in her late 20's and early 30's with short black hair, smooth chocolate skin, and bright brown eyes. She wore a black cardigan over a white blouse and a matching black skirt.
Mr. Pennington had thinning gray hair and beady blue eyes and wrinkly skin. He wore a silver suit with a blazing red shirt and a shiny silver tie. He was somewhere in his 50's.
"May we come in?" Sandy asked. She had a pleasant voice, like sunshine on a perfect day or even silk on a smooth, comfortable surface.
Carlotta nodded and lead them in the living room where Sandy and Mr. Pennington sat down, both smiling respectively.
"Can I offer you both anything to drink?" Carlotta asked.
"No, we're both fine. We already went out to lunch," Mr.Pennington answered. He had a raspy, unpleasant voice.
Carlotta sat down on the opposite couch.
"Well, as you all hopefully know we're here to give these two kids foster parents while their biological guardian is being sent to jail and a rehabilitation center," Mr. Pennington started.
Wait, hold up-Mom was being sent to rehab, too?
"Anyway, we have a good set of fosters for them for the moment. Their names are Leo and Kendra Day. They are actually expecting a child in a few months, and have fostered before. But it's always been short-term, so these two will be a whole new challenge to them," Sandy continued.
Mr. Pennington cleared his throat and said, "And your names are?"
"Oh, Jane and Gabe Fawcett," Jane replied.
Sandy smiled. "Well, um, we should get going soon...Any questions?"
"Uh, yes," Carlotta said. "Will I be able to visit them?"
"Of course, Ms. Lawrence. Kendra and Leo are more them happy for you to come. They were thinking once a week or so?"
"That sounds perfect."
Sandra smiled again. "Well then. Jane; Gabe?"
Jane and I stood up and grabbed our suitcases. Mr. Pennington and Sandy gladly took them and headed to the door.
Carlotta opened it for them.
"Ms. Lawrence, you are invited to come along with us to the Days' home if you would like," Mr. Pennington commented.
Carlotta agreed and grabbed her purse and followed us into Mr. P and Sandy's car. It was a nice one, a big Lexus. We all fit into it nicely.
The ride was silent. The scenery took us away; into some other place. Slowly the neighborhoods got better and better, with bigger, nicer houses, and less and less people.
Finally we arrived at our destination. The house was big. It was white brick house with wood extensions, many windows, and flowers everywhere.
We walked up to the porch and the door slowly opened.
A man and woman appeared.
No comments:
Post a Comment