Previously in Chapter 9: Officer Lawrence pays another visit and finds out about the Fawcett's secret.
It was a long week.
Luggage was packed and locked, deals were secured, cries were shared. It was difficult. Everyday we waited for Officer Lawrence. We all knew he would eventually come. Carlotta came a few times during the week, giving us a touch of solace. She'd heard of the news from Officer Lawrence, and had rushed over secretly. Carlotta would always be on our side.
Suddenly one morning, as we were cleaning up, there was a loud knock on the door. Mom looked ready, at least on the outside.
Officer Lawrence was grinning. But I thought that maybe someone from his multitude had made him laugh, not us.
Jane and I skimmed our eyes around the crowd. Most of the people were cops, the rest were people in smart suits.
Carlotta was in the very back, crying.
"Mom, what are they going to do all of us?" Jane whispered.
Mom shrugged. She was clueless. But I couldn't disagree with her. The multitude was very confusing. Two types of people crowded around the house frightened us.
And suddenly, it clicked.
"Hello, Fawcetts. I'm here today on behalf of Sharon A. Fawcett. You, ma'm, are in a lot of trouble," Officer Lawrence said.
Mom picked up her luggage. Two men from the police crowd stepped up and grabbed Mom's things. They walked back into the multitude.
Another pair of men came up and grabbed Mom's arms. They tugged her off of our porch and pulled her the sidewalk, right in front of the police car.
Jane started walking towards Mom and the burly men, pulling me with her.
But a woman stopped us. "Uh, sorry, kids. You need to go with them." She pointed to the smart suits.
"No," Jane argued.
"Ah, yes!" I hissed at her.
Jane ignored my plea and pushed past the woman.
"Hey, she's escaping!" the woman yelled.
Suddenly a whole pack of police officers gained up and Jane and pulled her back.
The police car revved up as the officers grabbed Jane and I. They couldn't trust any of us.
I felt tears rush through both of our eyes, as time rushed by; Mom being rode away to wherever, and us the same. It was as if the ocean came and swept everything we loved, cared about, and ever knew away. As if it took all the sand, and all that was left was an ugly surface full of hate and tears.
One of the smart suit people confronted the officers.
"I'll take it from here," he said.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment